Pastor Blair’s Top Ten Books Read in 2017
As usual, my top ten tend to reflect my interests in history. I choose the ranking on how much the book influenced my thinking. If I have found myself still pondering and dialoguing with the content much later, I rank the book higher. The reviews can be found in my earlier blog posts.
- Trueman, Carl R. Luther on the Christian Life. Wheaton: Crossway, 2011.
- Paretsky, Sara. Words, Works & Ways of Knowing: The Breakdown of Moral Philosophy in New England Before the Civil War. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2016.
- Koessler, John. The Radical Pursuit of Rest: Escaping the Productivity Trap. Downers Grove: Intervarsity Press, 2016.
- Wannamaker, Charles. New International Greek Testament Commentary: Commentary on 1 & 2 Thessalonians. Eerdman’s Publishing, Grand Rapids, 1990.
- Chantry, Walter. Call the Sabbath a Delight. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 1991.
- Asmus, Barry & Wayne Grudem. Poverty of Nations: A Sustainable Solution. Crossway, 2013.
- Murray, David. Reset: Living a Grace-Paced Life in a Burnout Culture. Wheaton: Crossway, 2017.
- Geiger, Eric and Kevin Peck. Designed to Lead: The Church and Leadership Development. Nashville: B& H Publishing, 2016.
- Emlet, Michael R. Descriptions and Prescriptions: A Biblical Perspective on Psychiatric Diagnoses and Medications. Greensboro: New Growth Press, 2017.
- Getty, Keith & Kristyn Getty. Sing! How Worship Transforms Your Life, Family and Church. Nashville: B&H Publishing, 2017.
Honorable Mentions: Hackett, Horatio. Illustrations of Scripture: Suggested by a Tour of the Holy Land. (1863), Wills, Gregory A. Southern Baptist Theological Seminary 1859-2009. (2009), Wentdorf, Rudolf. Paul Schnieder: Witness of Buchenwald. (translated by Daniel Blosch). (2008), & Cummings, Asa. A Memoir of the Rev. Edward Payson, D.D. (1829).
More in Blog
February 13, 2019Sex-Abuse Investigation of SBC Leaders
December 31, 2018What Pastor Blair Has Been Reading (from October 2018 through December 2018)
December 31, 2018Pastor Blair’s Top Ten Books Read in 2018